Carla Lovell advises individuals and families with regard to their tax and estate planning, charitable planning, and business succession. Her practice includes sophisticated transfer tax planning, domestic asset protection planning, as well as special needs trust planning and conservatorships.
Since many of Ms. Lovell’s clients are business owners, she frequently advises them with respect to business structure and assists with real estate and other business transactions. She also counsels nonprofit entities and tax-exempt organizations in the areas of business formation, tax exemption qualification and compliance, and governance.
Ms. Lovell represents beneficiaries with respect to their interests in trusts and estates. Likewise, she frequently represents executors with regard to probate and estate administration and assists trustees and other fiduciaries in performing their fiduciary duties. Utilizing her knowledge and understanding of the Tennessee Uniform Trust Code, she has fixed many “broken trusts” by obtaining court-approved trust modifications and terminations as well as non-judicial settlement agreements. She has also used Tennessee’s decanting statute to decant a number of Tennessee trusts and has assisted with the transition of many trusts from other states to Tennessee.
Ms. Lovell is one of a very few attorneys in Tennessee who has formed a Tennessee private trust company, having recently formed the ninth Tennessee private trust company. In addition she advises families relative to the structure, operation, and best practices for private family offices and private family trust companies.
Ms. Lovell received her J.D. degree from Vanderbilt University in 1988. She received a bachelor’s degree with highest honors from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in 1985, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She has been listed in Woodward/White’s Best Lawyers in America in the area of Trusts & Estates since 2012 and Mid-South Super Lawyers since 2016.
- Member of the Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Tennessee Probate Study Group of the Tennessee Bar Association
- Member of the Probate Court, Estate Planning and Tax committees of the Nashville Bar Association
- Fellow, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Fellow, Nashville Bar Foundation
- Lecturer to professional groups on Trusts & Estates topics
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive)
- Volunteer for Nashville Bar Association Pro Bono Program
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Planned Giving Council of Middle Tennessee (Treasurer 2015-2018)
- Member of the Board of Directors of YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
- Member of the Board of Directors of Vox Grata Women’s Choir, Inc.
- Member of CABLE, Tennessee’s premier leadership organization for women’s professional advancement
- Lecturer to civic and religious groups on estate planning and estate administration issues