Carolyn W. Schott represents companies and individuals involved in transactions and litigation in the areas of business, tax, trusts and estates. She serves as an advisor and advocate in federal tax planning, strategy and controversy, real estate, probate and trust litigation, creditor’s rights in estate administration, and state administrative and court appeals.
In addition to assisting for-profit businesses, Ms. Schott regularly counsels nonprofit entities and tax-exempt organizations, including public charities, private foundations, trade and professional associations, and religious and educational organizations in the areas of business planning, governance, regulatory compliance, tax exemption qualification, and litigation.
Ms. Schott’s experience includes helping companies with tax planning and problem solving related to Tennessee state and local taxes, including refund claims, voluntary disclosures, audits, administrative conferences and hearings, and judicial appeals. Her representations include controversy work in state corporate income and franchise tax, sales and use tax, business tax, and local property tax for commercial and industrial property owners. Her experience includes counsel to companies in the transportation, communications and energy industries before state revenue agencies and local tax assessors.
Ms. Schott also advises families and individuals in business succession, tax and estate planning, estate and trust administration, and fiduciary compliance. She regularly handles conservatorship matters, estate and trust disputes, and probate litigation involving heirs, beneficiaries and fiduciaries.
- Member of American, Tennessee, and Nashville Bar Associations
- Member of the Michigan Bar
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Rotary Club of Nashville Member
- Nashville Bar Foundation Fellow
- Electric Power Board (Nashville Electric Service) (2015 – present)
- Nashville Opera Board (2011 – 2017) (President 2015 – 2016)
- Arts & Business Council of Greater Nashville Board (2009 – present)
- Tennessee Annual Conference Board of Trustees, United Methodist Church (2015 – present)
- United Methodist Foundation for the Memphis and Tennessee Conferences Board (2012- present) (Chair 2016)
- Calvary Young Children’s School Board (2014 – 2016) (Chair 2016)
- Community of St. Mary Board (2014 – present)
- FiftyForward Board (2009 – 2015) (Secretary 2012 – 2014)
- Nashville Aquatic Club Board (2012 – 2013)
- Breakfast Club of Nashville Board (President, 2013; Vice Chair, 2012; Social Chair, 2009)