Ryan focuses on business litigation. His practice spans many industries, including manufacturing, real estate, insurance, health care, education, distribution and sales, financial services, technology, private equity, and startups. Ryan represents publicly traded companies, small businesses, and individuals. Ryan also has an active antitrust practice.
Ryan was his law school valedictorian. He received first honors in six courses, including contracts, corporations, constitutional law, and securities regulation. He was Editor in Chief of the law review. Before joining the firm, Ryan was a law clerk to the Hon. Gilbert S. Merritt, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. While in law school, he interned for the Hon. George C. Paine of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Tennessee.
Raised in Nashville, Ryan is the Board Chair and Founding Board Member of Intrepid College Preparatory Charter School. After college, Ryan taught sixth-grade math in an inner-city public school in New York City through Teach For America.
- In 2017, prevailed on cross-motions for summary judgment for regional developer in lawsuit arising out of transaction to purchase A-Game Sportsplex in Franklin, Tennessee. Nashville Cool Springs, L.P. v. Sports Land Group, LLC, No. 16-2725-BC (Business Court, Davidson County, Tennessee).
- In 2017, prevailed on cross-motions for partial summary judgment for owners of scrapyard property in downtown Nashville, resulting in favorable resolution. PSC Metals, Inc. v. Shelby Land Co. LLC, 2017 WL 587878, at *12 (M.D. Tenn. Feb. 13, 2017).
- For several years, have been representing large individual merchants in In re: American Express Antitrust Litig., E.D.N.Y.
- In 2016, obtained arbitration award including legal fees and expenses for manufacturer of explosive products after weeklong trial against tenant arising out of explosion.
- In 2015, defeated motion for temporary injunction seeking to block startup brewery from raising additional capital. Lawsuit was voluntarily dismissed.
- In 2015, obtained summary judgment for defendant guarantor of commercial-mortgaged backed securities loan agreement for alleged violations of recourse carve-outs.
- In 2015, represented owner of real estate in downtown Nashville in lawsuit against adjoining landowner for encroachment.
- In 2015, obtained summary judgment in favor of individual defendant who had been sued to invalidate trust amendment as violation of public policy.
- In 2014, represented insurer sued for tortious interference with business and defamation. After the court dismissed most claims, the rest were voluntarily dismissed.
- In 2014, represented creditor sued for fraudulent conveyance and conspiracy. After a favorable ruling from the bankruptcy court, the lawsuit was voluntarily dismissed.
- In 2014, represented international commodities trader in lawsuit to recover collateral. Obtained dismissal of defendant’s bankruptcy as filed in bad faith, then obtained order granting immediate possession of collateral. Bayader Fooder Trading, LLC v. Wright, No. 13-2856, 2014 WL 5369420 (W.D. Tenn. Oct. 21, 2014).
- In 2013, obtained favorable settlement for owners of medical office building sued by tenant dentist for alleged violations of exclusivity provision in lease.
- In 2013, obtained favorable ruling in federal habeas-corpus appeal in the Sixth Circuit to invalidate sentencing enhancement as in violation of client’s constitutional right to trial by jury. Lovins v. Parker, 712 F.3d 283 (6th Cir. 2013).
- In 2013, obtained judgment of possession and award of all legal fees for commercial developer in lawsuit against tenant for breach of lease.
- In 2012, obtained dismissal of lawsuit for international electronics manufacturer sued for breach of contract due to lack of personal jurisdiction. Smartvue Corp. v. Mistral Software PVT. LTD, No. 3:11-1145, 2012 WL 3000144, at *1 (M.D. Tenn. July 23, 2012).
Advertising Material – Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- J.D. (valedictorian), Vanderbilt University
- M.A. (economics), University of Nebraska – Lincoln
- B.A. (summa cum laude), Vanderbilt University
- Tennessee Bar
- U.S. District Courts for the Middle, Western, and Eastern Districts of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers 2013-2018 (Business Litigation) (“Mid-South Rising Star”)
- Finalist, Nashville Emerging Leader Award, 2016
- Attorney for Justice Tennessee Supreme Court Pro Bono Service Award 2015-2016
- Nashville Emerging Leaders, Class of 2013
- Nashville Bar Journal, Article of the Year, 2012
- Founder’s Medal
- Editor in Chief, Vanderbilt Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Robert F. Jackson Prize
- Archie B. Martin Prize
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Note, A Uniform System for the Enforceability of Forum Selection Clauses in Federal Courts, 62 Vand. L. Rev. 1913 (2009)
- Board Chair, Vanderbilt Law Review Alumni Committee
- Class of 2013, Nashville Emerging Leaders
- Member, Nashville Bar Association
- Member, Tennessee Bar Association
- Board Chair and Founding Board Member, Intrepid College Preparatory Charter School
- Former Board Member, Montgomery Bell Academy Young Alumni Board
- Four-year mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee