Tracy Powell practices primarily in the areas of health care, commercial transactions, securities and general corporate law. He is experienced in developing, negotiating and completing business transactions and providing counsel to companies.
In health care matters, he has represented physicians and other providers on many issues, including federal and state fraud and abuse matters, physician self-referral issues (including Stark Law and regulatory matters), and related health care operations issues. He has substantial experience in physician practice matters, particularly in the physician/hospital integration process and in the negotiation of physician recruiting and employment agreements. He has assisted various providers, hospitals, physician organizations, and others in addressing compliance and billing inquiries and in evaluating and reviewing their compliance programs. In addition to these providers, his clients include a number of surgery center operators, lithotripsy providers, clinical laboratories, and other entities involved in the health care delivery system.
Mr. Powell is a graduate of Vanderbilt University Law School, where he was a member of the Vanderbilt Law Review and Order of the Coif. He received a bachelor’s degree in accounting from the University of Southern Mississippi.
- Counsel to multiple physician practices in connection with hospital/practice integration and directly involved in compensation and employment matters, including co-management relationships, regulatory analysis, and governance structuring
- Served as independent counsel to health systems in in-depth review of compliance plans and compliance elements
- Development and regulatory counsel for a large health care company assisting in structuring of multiple physician joint ventures, acquisitions of businesses, and syndications with physician owners
- Regulatory and compliance counsel to enrolled providers licensed in multiple jurisdictions
- Lead acquisition counsel to various buyers in manufacturing, health care and other industries
- Development and regulatory counsel for health care management firms managing and owning ambulatory surgery centers, advising on compliance and operational issues
- Counsel to investor group purchasing and owning hospitals
- Representation of physicians in negotiations with recruiting arrangements, employment and ownership considerations and other practice-related matters
- Member of the Business and Health Law Sections of the American, Tennessee and Nashville Bar Associations
- Various leadership roles in the Health Law Section of the American Bar Association
- Speaker at local, regional and national conferences on health care, corporate and ethical issues
- Board member, Executive Committee, and elected President of University of Southern Mississippi Alumni Association
- Past board member of YMCA Camp Widjiwagan
- Past board chair of Seven Hills Swim and Tennis Club
- Past board member of the Young Leaders Council; currently serving as Young Leaders Council mentor
- Past board member of the Grace M. Eaton Day Home
- Recipient of the Outstanding Service Award 1993 and the Continuous Outstanding
Service Award 1997 from the University of Southern Mississippi Alumni Association
- Past board member of the University of Southern Mississippi Foundation