Cornell Kennedy is an experienced healthcare and corporate attorney who provides counsel tailored to the unique needs of specialty practitioners, such as dentists, veterinarians, and chiropractors, as well as to other general corporate clients he represents. Cornell appreciates that healthcare is not a monolithic industry and understands that effective representation requires understanding the nuanced business and legal challenges that vary across the broad healthcare landscape.
In his healthcare practice, Cornell leverages his deep transactional and business knowledge to help his clients – including dentists, veterinarians, optometrists, chiropractors, and physicians – establish and grow their practices, seize opportunities, and minimize risks. He assists practice start-ups with formation, operating and partnership agreements, and lease negotiations. His counsel also includes advising on complex practice acquisitions, sales, buy-ins, financing structures, real estate transactions, and employment matters.
Cornell’s broad experience with forming and structuring management service organizations (MSOs) and dental service organizations (DSOs) helps dentists, endodontists, periodontists, and dental practices navigate the complexities of such affiliations. His work with the dental industry has made him a frequent speaker throughout Tennessee on topics such as practice start-ups and transitions, lease negotiation strategies, associate contracts and buy-ins, and other employment law matters.
In the areas of general corporate law, Cornell represents companies and individuals in business formation and dissolution, acquisitions, and various other operational matters, including employment and covenants not-to-compete.
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law
- B.S. in Criminal Justice at Middle Tennessee State University
- Woodward/White: The Best Lawyers In America “One to Watch” 2021-Present (Corporate Law; Healthcare Law)
- Super Lawyers 2018-Present (Business/Corporate; Healthcare) (“Mid-South Rising Star”)
- National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 2020
- Nashville Bar Foundation’s Class of 2020 Fellows Program
- Tennessee Bar Association’s Class of 2020 Leadership Law
- Member, Tennessee Bar Association Committee on Racial and Ethnic Diversity
- Member, Nashville Bar Association (Secretary, 2013)
- Member, Nashville Bar Foundation’s Leadership Forum (Class of 2015-2016)
- Member, Tennessee Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Harry Phillips American Inn of Court
- Member, Napier-Looby Bar Association
- Co-Chair of the Nashville Bar Association Diversity Committee
- Board Member of the Nashville Metropolitan CATV Special Commission
- Young Leader’s Board for JDRF
- Co-Chair, Second Harvest Food Bank’s Legal Food Fight Fundraising Executive Committee
- Volunteer, Nashville Bar Association (Antioch High School’s Mock Trial Team), 2011 and 2012